We often have patients come in who have tried stretching or soft tissue massage but still find themselves symptomatic. This is when we talk to them about Fascia.
What is Fascia?
Fascia is a network of layered connective tissue that surrounds muscles, bones and joints. It looks like spider webbing, woven in and around our muscles, joints, ligaments, tendons, nerves, arteries, veins, and even our internal organs. It encompasses everything from the skull to the toes. It is the fascial system that connects each and every part of the body to one another.
When the fascia and joint capsules are restricted, it can cause:
- Decreased joint space; which can lead to degenerative joint diseases and osteoarthritis
- Decreased muscle tone; which can lead to trigger points, strains, tendonitis, and tears
- Increased nervous tissue tone which can lead to headaches, trigger points and muscle tightness
- Increased star tissue formation
- Decreased blood flow and energy levels, and much more
What is Fascial Stretch Therapy?
Fascial Stretch Therapy (FST) is a unique, complete and complementary system of table-based assisted stretching, focusing on the fascia and joint capsule as the key elements in achieving optimal flexibility, strength performance and pain relief.
Fascia has become a ‘buzz’ word in the healthcare industry but what many patients don’t understand is
that there are many forms of treatment that can be used to target the fascia to get it moving properly. At Cornerstone Therapy & Wellness we use fascial tools, dry cupping, and Fascial Stretch Therapy (FST).
What are the benefits of FST?
- Improved posture
- Relieve chronic muscle tightness & tension
- Reduced risk of injuries
- Releases endorphins which are natural pain suppressants
- Improved strength, joint mobility, and overall flexibility
- Decreased stress
- Improved circulation, relaxation; resulting in better sleep and recovery
- Improved athletic performance
- Decreased muscle soreness
Book your appointment for FST at Cornerstone Therapy and Wellness!